Wednesday 12 August 2009

Counting Down ... My Last Week in Serbia

11th May 2009

Saturday – I arrived at church a little earlier than the team were expected. I had cleared the day to finish off some cleaning and to welcome the team. I managed to finish a bit earlier than I thought so I sat in the courtyard reading. I'm really going to miss this place, I love relaxing in the courtyard. I've finally made a decision to come home with the Team – a week earlier than planned. It'll be good to have some company on the way back.
I had a phone call from Sonja to say the team were about 30km's away. I wasn't sure what that meant in time-wise but thought a rough estimate. I didn't want to go outside and check the road every time I heard something bigger than a car. I'd be up and down so many times. I checked my watch and thought I'd relax for 20 minutes or so. When 20 minutes were up I put on the kettle then popped my head out the gate. As I looked down the road a minibus passed. Could this be the team? It pulled in – yes it was. What great timing. It was great to see them, cannot believe they are here. I know it sounds odd but it feels as if family have returned. I'm looking forward to spending time with these guys and getting to know them better.
On Sunday I had invited Vesna, Slaviša and Dajan over for lunch. Dajan didn't come – i think he'd have been a bit bored. It was great being able to share more with Vesna and Slaviša. We were sharing cooking tips – me being able to share a cooking tip, new experience for me. But my tip I cannot take the credit – Katarina gave me it and I passed onto Vesna and onto you. So simple – make a paste from garlic cloves and some salt and mix it into plain yogurt. Goes lovely with pasta and many other dishes.

The afternoon passed by too quickly. This was the last time I'd be able to spend with Vesna this trip as Faculty will be very demanding. That's when it hit me I'm going home and have to say some more “see you soon”s.
I had a few things I needed to get done before I returned to the UK so I didn't see the team until the Tuesday. Wow, they have made some fantastic progress. They have come over to do some decorating. I've been looking at the doors for months itching to get some paint stripper on them – that's what they've been doing. They've stripped 2 of the doors and repainted them. Such a different. The windows are being done as well. What can I say but you guys are such hard workers and have really made a difference.
I spent time with the team on Tuesday in prayer and worship. The Holy Spirit was definitely with us. It was fantastic. There were so many prayers and prophecy for each of us. I feel very blessed to be able to spend time with Team Attleborough. I raise my glass to you and say “Asphalt”:0)
During the week there were lots of people coming and going from downstairs. I was amazed to see how many people were blessed by the humanitarian aid. By the time I left most of it had been distributed. Sladjaner had worked hard in organising people.
The next few days passed by quickly – painting, cleaning, having fun, cooking, shopping. I found it very useful to be busy and keep focused on something.
My last day arrived. This was going to be a difficult day and I needed to be busy. The team had finished most of their work and were taken to Niška Banja. It was a beautiful day for a walk about and a relax by the spring. Then they were introduced to the wonderful pancakes (getting hungry just thinking of them!). Some had savoury then wanted a sweet one as well. Mmmm, šlag, plazma and chocolate sauce. Oh, there I go again made me think of Bombay's hot chocolate. Why oh why aren't our hot chocolates that delicious and thick here? It is true – Serbian's make the best hot chocolate (at least the best I've ever had).
There was church communion, meal and party in the evening. It was great. One of the reasons was to introduce Team Attleborough to the church and thank them. Another reason was to say goodbye to me and the other was to have some fun together. I found the worship very emotional – this was the last time for a while that I'd be worshipping in Serbian.
I'm now back in Norfolk. Team Attleborough were such a great support on the way home and the first day back. I decided to stay over in Attleborough to help at Ignite and stay for Sunday Service. I've missed english services. I didn't realise how much.
My house is so dusty. I cannot wait to clean it. But now the hard work really starts ...

No comments:

Post a Comment