Wednesday 11 July 2012

Birthday blessings


http://flic.kr/p/53ptFo
What a lovely birthday I've just had. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Birthdays are bitter-sweet for me now. When my parents were alive it was always fun waking up on a birthday. I know part of my thinking is looking back in fondness in a way memory can do! I'm still not used to waking up on my birthday and no one else in the house. I don't like that part! It's one of the times in a year when I really miss the ones no longer living. Yet today was a good day - and I was at work too!

I had a lovely lunch with the team leaders. If you're in Belfast try out Failte near Royal Victoria Hospital. They do a great deal - express lunch and a glass of wine or beer or soft drink for £5.95. I didn't have a choice of meal being a veggie, not that it mattered. They do a lovely vegetable curry. Generous portion sizes too.
Went back to work for the afternoon then taken to Dunelm Mill - homeware shop. Thankfully didn't take cash card with me and was mindful of having to catch bus back so I didn't break the bank.

On the way home I stopped and chatted to one of the alcoholics in Castle Street. They've always been very polite to me. I saw money on the floor and wondered what it was doing there. This person (I'm sorry I couldn't tell if you were male or female) said one of their friends had been taken bad and ambulance taken him to hospital. I think this person was shaken by it. They told me their doctor had told them that if they don't stop drinking they'll be dead within 12 months. I asked how long ago this was. 2 months ago. I couldn't smell any alcohol on him/her and think they are trying to stop. It must be hard as s/he is still hanging around with drinkers. What a temptation that must be. They mentioned the money on the ground and said they had thought about picking it up and dropping off in the chapel but thought there may be someone in more need than the chapel or her/himself. That was amazing to hear - someone most people woild walk past and ignore completely as "Joe Public" think they only want their money to drink away was thinking of others worse off. What an eye opener that is.

Don't judge people by how they look or sound, you could be wrong

Who has surprised you by being different to how you thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment