Monday 2 July 2012

Keep Calm and ...Drink Tea

I knew last weekend would be a challenge for me on a few different levels. On the whole the Ladies Festival was a good weekend. I only had one bad moment, at least it's shown me something I need more work on and also realised things are not as smooth as I've been led to believe (which is a great shame).

Since going through my prayer ministry and beyond I've developed the wisdom in knowing we can only deal with our own emotions in situations and not others. Ok, there are times when others are open to hearing reason and others they are so self-focused they blank it and see it as being very narrow-minded and, what was it you said?...

Moving away from family, although I know I'd be dead had I remained in Billericay, means there's so much I don't know about them. It hasn't really crossed my mind until this weekend when it was used against me. That was very low and I forgive that person for hurting me. Yet, do we really get to know a person even in close proximity? It's not to do with the amount of time we can invest in someone it's rather how much the person is willing to be vulnerable and enable people to know the real them. And that's a big thing, being vulnerable. Opening yourself up to being hurt - and, potentially so much happiness too. I think it has a little to do with how much we trust others and are confident in our relationship with them to know they like/love you warts and all.

One old demon did raise it's ugly head this weekend. I was peasantly surprised, and relieved, how quickly I killed it to stop it doing damage. I know that had I given it permission to act - and allowing emotions to develop is giving them permission - all the pain and hurt of work would have come flooding out inappropriately and directed in the wrong direction.

It is so hard to see someone going through self-destructive behaviour time and time again. But after speaking truth into a situation I stepped back. I realise each person has their own responsibility for their own emotions and if they are unwilling at that moment to hear the truth it is best to let them be and pray for them to open their ears to the truth.

I love people watching. I do wonder sometimes how I come across to others. I know I am far from perfect and have faults of my own. I do find it very saddening to watch attention-seeking people trying to get attention and sympathy. If they don't get what they are looking for from the current person they will quickly move on to another person hoping to receive it from them and the cycle continues. I was watching someone and in the space of 20 minutes 6 attempts had happened, all with the same response.

If I really listen and take notice of things I read or hear - either from friends, conversations or through the media - it's amazing how much humans blame on emotional responses to things. One example that always springs to mind is having an affair. "I cannot help who I fall in love with". As if just because you have an emotion you have to react to it. I'm sure there are other emotions the same person has they don't put into action. One thing I read recently was about not choosing the best thing to do but choosing the wisest thing to do. And that is where the challenge comes in. It is becoming culturally acceptable to reason things out because of emotions. We all have a choice how to react to emotions. It is your own personal responsibility how you react. There are consequences whichever way you choose.

http://flic.kr/p/9SB5Mn
It is the time to take back responsibility and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment