Monday 12 January 2009

The first week

http://flic.kr/p/d49YFs
I cannot believe it's only my first week. It feels as if I've been here a little longer. I'm feeling settled in my flat and am getting to know the different buses I can catch to get to different parts of town. My flat is superb. I'm getting used to hearing the other occupants of the building. Not that it's overly noisy but I'm used to living in a semi with no-one the other side. I've decided to sleep in the big bed, which means I have to make up the sofa bed each evening. I find I sleep better in a bigger bed. It's quite a novelty now and it makes sure I keep the living area tidy, so it's a good thing. Karolina worked hard in creating some cupboard/wardrobe space for me, thank you. My clothes fit great into one of the wardrobes. I really must fully unpack the case so I can see what I do have.
I had a good day Saturday looking after Milos and Iva. We played some games. I didn't realise how long a game could last. At first Milos and I started playing Ludo. I lost track after 2 hours how long it lasted. After that Iva and I played Snakes and Ladders. We gave up after an hour. Unbelievable.
After Vlada and Sonja came back Sonja kindly dropped me off at Martin and Peter's. It was good to spend some time with them. Boys and their toy's though – I can sort of understand and X-box but a large flat screen tv? I must admit, it does look good and is great for game playing.
Yesterday was the first church service. Services are now in the morning, starting at 11am. Martin and I had arranged to get there earlier as the rooms needed to be cleaned before the service. We had planned to start at 9am, which meant I'd have to leave around 8am as I wasn't sure on the buses on a Sunday. I missed my bus by a matter of seconds. If the road hadn't been slippery I may have managed to catch it, but I'm still a bit nervous of the snow and ice (I'm a lot better than I was). So I decided to walk to find out how long it takes. I had a feeling it could be about an hour and wasn't completely sure of the way but still tried. It did take an hour and I managed not to get lost. There wasn't too much cleaning to do, thankfully as I was nearly an hour later than planned – but I wasn't worried as Martin wasn't there either.
It was good to spend time at the church and with the members of the church. There were some familiar faces and some new ones. The service was good. It hit me that this is my church for the next few months. I think it has finally sunk in I'm here for a while – not too sure how that feels at the moment, one minute it feels ok the next not so good! I have a few phone numbers to arrange to meet with some ladies.
Last night I had my first migraine in months. I thought it was my usual sinus pain but I was wrong. It is difficult to distinguish at times if it is sinus pain or migraine pain. I took some pain killers but it didn't touch the pain. That's when I realised I was in for a bad time. I made up my bed which made my pain worse but I had to try to get to sleep as soon as possible. It was too late. I spent the few hours either with head down the toilet or trying to get some rest.
I'm now sitting by the light of the laptop as my part of town has a power cut. It's been over an hour and it seems to be spreading. The block of flats opposite here (a bit of distance away) had electricity which gave some sort of light but they've gone out now. I thought I'd use the time wisely and catch up on the blog (will try to upload as soon as electricity is back). It's amazing how much we use electricity for, the things we cannot do when we haven't any. I'd love to sit and read but cannot see the page without being blinded by the flame. Never mind, surely it cannot last forever?!
I'm feeling a little lost – most of it's due to being impatient. I want to do so much here but things are very slow at the moment. The students aren't back to university yet so some are still in their home town. I'm unsure what I need to do here and what activities I need to sort out or help with or just attend. I know all this will become clearer in time and some of it is to do with the culture. It's a shame, I wanted to ring one of the ladies from church tonight to see if she's free tomorrow but as the phone's a walkabout one I cannot even do that. I have to remember it's only my first week of many. I must enjoy this spare time because once I start Serbian lesson's I can see my spare time being used up by learning.

3 comments:

  1. wooooooooo cathys in serbia!
    lol its great to hear how youre getting on :) love u lots xx sally xxxxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Twist
    Glad to hear you arrived safely. Keep your chin up i,m sure you,ll have a great time.
    Just remember we are all here for you and thinking of you.
    Love
    Chris, Barb & Megs
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cath

    Glad you are settling in ok.
    Pictures look good glad you are finding your self.

    What date are you coming home for a flying visit.

    Barbara Chris and Megan
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete