Thursday 22 March 2012

Elders

What a night. I wasn't expecting such a powerful night.

It was a significant night for Redeemer Central. We appointed our Elders. I was blown away by the experience.

I'd had a very busy day at work and was trying to work out if I should go home, get changed, get a lift to 101 or stay at work. There was a huge desire to go home and freshen up but I knew if I did I'd struggle to come out again. So to avoid that I stayed on at work.

I was looking forward to the evening although with not much emotion - felt quite flat about it. That was until moments before I left work then a wave of excitement hit me. I felt as if I was floating walking there, in fact it didn't feel a usual walk there. I should have realised by the size of the battle I had to get there it was going to be a good evening.

I was blown away by the experience and emotions I felt. I did respect Elders and Leaders before but have a deeper understanding now. It was a new realisation of the significance of Elders and the enormity of the responsibility. The sacrifices made, to some people a view into the Church - being scrutinised constantly, make or break church community, changing communities.

I'm so glad Trish passed me a tissue. I was blubbing away. There was one point I felt a great need to protect them - you know how a mother wraps arm round child to protect or comfort a child, I felt the need to do that. I didn't. What I took away from that feeling was to remember to pray for protection over them and their families.

I'm wondering if we should call our Eldership team D3R - D cubed R - being David Capener, Dave Wylie, Dave Armstrong and Ryan Hawthorn.

I feel very privileged to be part of Redeemer Central and to witness the appointing of our first Elders. I like that phrase "first Elders", makes me wonder who will be stepping out of their comfort zone next. It has a sense of there being a future, a constantly moving forward.

I'm amazed how far Redeemer Central has come in a relatively short space of time. It's been growing for three years, an amazing growth over the last 12 months and I feel we are growing spiritually too and together. It's great to find a church community to invest in, really want to invest in - time, energy, commitment and to get so much in return.

I'd like to encourage you if you're not in a church community you love and care for to look at why you don't - is there something you can start to make a difference. And please remember, your Elders are human too and are not perfect yet they need your support, grace and encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching this point in the church. Exciting times ahead as you continue to bed in.

    One question: all men?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the question. Yes, Redeemer Central are biblical in their appointing Elders - see Titus, not sure of chapter or verse. There are many ways women can contribute to the life of a church and we are encouraged to grow just as much as the men are. God made us different for a reason. And we compliment each other.

      Delete